Julie Sloan wrote:
On Wednesday 16 March 2005 08:27 am, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Julie Sloan wrote:

rpm --rebuilddb etc

Not normaly needed. This is only if your database of installed RPMs gets corrupted.

urpmi.update -a
urpmi --auto-select
rpm --rebuild, etc

Again, this is not needed. It is a repair command, and not normal maintence.

I figured any time I added or removed any number of programs (whether
one or fifty) or changed media managers it wouldn't hurt to run the
system refreshers.

On a properly working system, you should never have to run "rpm --rebuilddb".

Yokay, thanks, I will remove rpm --rebuilddb command from my list and jsut do [rpm --updatedb && update-menus -v && ldconfig], right?

You should not need to do any of those. (I am not sure where rpm --updatedb came from...) The update-menus is normally run by any package that adds/removes menu entries, so you should not need to run it yourself. The same for ldconfig when adding/removing libraries. I guess it doesn't hurt to run them, but it isn't really necessary ether. Now, running updatedb can be helpful if you use slocate. If not, then you can let the weekly cron job take care of it.

Mikkel

for you are crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!