On Tuesday 15 March 2005 11:51 am, Tom wrote:
> Julie Sloan wrote:

> > hi Tom;
> > okay, I don't need to update the menus and all that after each large
> > update? I thought I read here that I should.
>
>        Depends, as I said sometimes after large updates it's needed,
> along with log out/in  .... But you were tryin to do all those
> system 'refreshers' _before_ updating.  You got it sort'a kind'a
> backasswards sweetheart ;)  At least what you posted

Uh huh.  I neglected to post the several hours of downloads that preceded
that.  :)

the order in which I have been doing stuff is:
urpmi.removemedia (if necessary)
urpmi.addmedia
rpm --rebuilddb etc
urpmi.update -a
urpmi --auto-select
rpm --rebuild, etc

I figured any time I added or removed any number of programs (whether one or
fifty) or changed media managers it wouldn't hurt to run the system
refreshers.

> > I am doing --noclean so that I do not have to d/l the rpms again should
> > I have to reinstall (off discs) - I am on dialup and it takes several
> > days. Also I am keeping the rpms because I am fixin to install 10.0 on
> > my laptop and sure don't want to have to d/l all that once again.
>
>       OK, that's a valid reason, particulary if you move them to a
> 'safe' backup location.  If you're forced to do a re-install with
> the packages left in /var/cache/urpmi/rpms/  or anywhere on your '/'
> partition,  You'll lose them. I believe you might also find that if
> an when that re-install should occur, the packages could well have
> already been obsoleted by newer ones anyhow.

I have a separate /storage/ partition (thanks Lanman!); and what I think I'd
like the rpms to do is ...at the time they would normally be "cleaned" if I
didn't have the "--noclean" switch on, I would like them to move to a
directory on that partition instead.

> >>     As far as --no-md5sum, I don't think you wanna do that either.
> >>It disables protection from d/l'g corrupted packages from bad
> >>mirrors.   I believe what you want is to add these lines to the
> >>beginning of   /etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg     (brackets included)
> >>
> >>{
> >>   downloader: wget
> >>   verify-rpm: 0
> >>}

<smile> later on, when I have time to play with vi again I will insert that
into the .cfg

Thanks for all the other tips, too.  It was interesting reading and I will
implement them.

--
Julie