Julie Sloan wrote:
On Tuesday 15 March 2005 11:51 am, Tom wrote:

Julie Sloan wrote:

On Tuesday 15 March 2005 10:37 am, Tom wrote:

Julie Sloan wrote:

Sorry for the very long (what follows), but I've been at this point
three times now, and each time I go to easyurpmi.zarb.org and start
over with urpmi.removemedia, (then get the new sources) and then:

rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb && update-menus -v -n && ldconfig &&
urpmi.update -a --no-md5sum && urpmi --auto-select --noclean

hi Tom;
okay, I don't need to update the menus and all that after each large
update? I thought I read here that I should.

Depends, as I said sometimes after large updates it's needed, along with log out/in .... But you were tryin to do all those system 'refreshers' _before_ updating. You got it sort'a kind'a backasswards sweetheart ;) At least what you posted

Uh huh. I neglected to post the several hours of downloads that preceded that. :)

the order in which I have been doing stuff is:
urpmi.removemedia (if necessary)
urpmi.addmedia

I'm not a fan of removing media. Use SMM to disable them. Particulary CD sources right after an install. Don't remove them, just uncheck (disable) them with SMM. You never know when you might wanna use your CD's rather than online sources.

Unless there's mirror structure changes (happens, but not very often) there's no reason to be adding sources all the time. Find 2, 3, or 4 good sites, then use SMM to manage them.

rpm --rebuilddb etc
urpmi.update -a
urpmi --auto-select
rpm --rebuild, etc

urpmi.update -a && urpmi --auto-select -v

The -v just gives more verbose ouput, often useful. It doesn't hurt to then run rpm -rebuilddb but it's really not needed for normal updates. The "refreshers" 'rpm --rebuilddb && updatedb && ldconfig -v && update-menus -v -n' are really only helpful after _large_ updates of libs, system files (non-user stuff), and major updates to your DE (KDE, Gnome, an such). An this is really only true if you run cooker.

I figured any time I added or removed any number of programs (whether one or fifty) or changed media managers it wouldn't hurt to run the system refreshers.

--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas