Anne Wilson wrote:
On Friday 18 Mar 2005 12:36, Charles Rodgers wrote:

Can't get Verbatim DVD W or RW to work with K3b.

Any recommendation for a make of DVD that is  known to work?

I presume we're talking disks? Any of the big name dvds will work fine. No-name ones work, sort of, in that you will get a percentage of coasters, so they're not economical, but do-able if you can't get anything else.

Anne

Nope! 'Big name', or well know brand names mean very little, more often, absolutely nothin! Practically no brand name media are made by the advertised vendor. The only way to know for sure who actually makes the disk is to do;

# cdrecord dev=ATA:1,1,0 -atip
^^^^^ (my device numbers, Mdk 10.2)
Cdrecord-Clone 2.01.01a01-dvd (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling

    <<big snip>>

ATIP info from disk:
  Indicated writing power: 5
  Is not unrestricted
  Is not erasable
  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
  ATIP start of lead out: 359848 (79:59/73)
Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
Manuf. index: 3
Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation

The vendors name is "DuraBrand" on that disc. CMC are a so so manufacturer, but work fine in my Plextor an these have a reasonably durable coating on them. IIRC, my last spindle of Verbatim's was also actually manufactured by CMC, but with a little better coating.

I switched from "Memorex" when they switched from usin discs manufactured by ProDisc (good media), to a no name, non-orange forum manufacturer in India (very poor media). I've had hundred disc spindles, sold under well known brand names, where the actual manufacturer switched as many as 3 times within the 100 discs!

Bottom line, there's less than a dozen media manufacturers on the planet .... there's hundreds of 'brand' names. -atip is the only way to know what you've got, and that is often subject to change, even when purchased in bulk. More often than not, the 'big brand names' and the generic 'no-names' are made by the same manufacturer. The higher priced discs usually have a better, more durable coating on them tho. That's important if you want to keep the data on them for some time.

More likely Charles problems stem from the GUI and or backend the program is usin, how well it's been adapted to DVD burning, poor choice of options for the backend, or the quality of his burner and it's laser. Specially if like media it's rebadged. I'd put the media last, unless it's some junk like that unknown, non orange Indian manufacturers' discs I got stuck with. Fortunately only about the last 20 on the 100 spindle.
--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas