On Friday 18 Mar 2005 17:44, Tom wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 18 Mar 2005 12:36, Charles Rodgers wrote:
> >>Can't get Verbatim DVD W or RW to work with K3b.
> >>
> >>Any recommendation for a make of DVD that is  known to work?
> >
> > I presume we're talking disks?  Any of the big name dvds will work fine.
> > No-name ones work, sort of, in that you will get a percentage of
> > coasters, so they're not economical, but do-able if you can't get
> > anything else.
> >
> > Anne
>
>       Nope!  'Big name', or well know brand names mean very little,
> more often, absolutely nothin!  Practically no brand name media are
> made by the advertised vendor. The only way to know for sure who
> actually makes the disk is to do;

All of that is true, but the fact remains that big name manufacturers can't
afford to get themselves linked to bad suppliers - they depend upon keeping
their good name.  That's not to say that there are no cheap disks that are
good - but you can't test them until you have bought them, so the risk is
entirely yours.  Yes, you can lower the risks by burning carefully - I've had
very few coasters, but 2 out of 25 in one pack - one burned on computer and
the other on stand-alone dvd-recorder - is too high a proportion for me.

Anne
Have you visited http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org yet?  Mandrake at all levels