Anne Wilson wrote:

On Monday 21 Mar 2005 10:21, Rosemary McGillicuddy wrote:

Okay Anne - thanks - wondered if it was something silly I was doing ...

I don't think so.

I need to become a club member obviously.
I see that GQview provides a good picture on monitor, and I can see
the photos using Gimp2.  Have not attempted anything with it though.
The display of files etc in gwenview looked easy to deal with.

It is really nice, so get it when you can. Meanwhile, if you can install gpp it will give you the ability to print multiple photos to a page. GwenView can do it, but if you haven't got that working, get gpp.

Yes - multiple photos to a page is needed.

Will contact Angelo - thanks for your help. Buying a card reader to
access my photos and save the visit to WinXP. It's becoming a point
of honour, not to mention *nuisance*. Have some photos I want to look
at!

LOL - I know the feeling. Most people seem to be able to use their card readers now. It used to be problematic for card readers with more than one format, but a few months ago I bought a front-panel for one box, to allow me to input sound from my hi-fi, for recording. As it happens it has a 6-in-1 card reader as well, and I was amazed to find that it was just picked up without me doing anything, showing up as extra removable drives.

The vendors of this card responded to my emails and actually use Sue 9.2. They say it works it great - plug and play - *cringe* all CLI advocates!

Actually - have used Gimp in windows and produced photos in mandrake
10.1. Just need to learn how to work it better!

It's brilliant at almost everything you want it to do, but it does feel strange at first. There's a massive manual in .pdf format. Google for it, but if you can't find it let me know - I think I have a copy here that I could send you.

Anne

I have some of that, and some gimp "quickies" printed. Thanks for the offer though. I probably waste a lot of time eg have mucked about in windows and trying firefox etc and The Gimp, talking myself out of trying linux because of the time commitment, coming back to it, never really getting to grips, but bottom line is - I want to to do what I need - eg print photos. I don't need to understand everything about it. But at the same time - there is a greediness - I want to be able to know about, and control it as well!

Yes - well - I know - I want too much!

Thanks anyway

Rosemary