how Adobe Acrobat is spying on users,
and how to disable their snooping system:
http://helping.net/p2p/AdobeAcrobatSpyingonUsers.html
Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, don't it?
Actually, from what I read, it is not Adobe that is doing this. A third party has written an app to use a feature of Acrobat 7 (the ability to run Javascript within the document)
it is always a bad idea to allow javascripts without filters.
remember all the popups and pop-downs etc ?

so that the IP address of whomever is opening the *.pdf can be logged. I'm not certain that Adobe will take kindly to this twisting of what was probably good intentions.
Adobe always had problems with good intentions.
"Repeal DMCA! Boycott Adobe!"
http://freesklyarov.org/
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/07/24/adobe_folds/
http://www.google.ch/search?q=adobe+boycott+Sklyarov

In effect, it has turned a "feature" into a "bug" in Acrobat Reader, in the mind of many people. Those of us on dial-up, and those with a dynamic IP wouldn't care, but users with a static IP should be at least a little bit pissed. Before we condemn Adobe, lets wait and see how this plays out (and maybe some will want to disable Java in the Reader
Java is something else.

and install the perl script to stop the nagging). Also, does anyone know of any site, anywhere, using this? Maybe, just boycotting those sites would be effective.
those pdf are also distributed by email and p2p.
anyone can do it at any time.

Time will tell.
only if some pressure is applied.

kind regards     philippe