On Saturday 02 April 2005 11:12 am, SigmaX wrote:
| Miark wrote:
| >>
| >>how Adobe Acrobat is spying on users,
| >>and how to disable their snooping system:
| >>http://helping.net/p2p/AdobeAcrobatSpyingonUsers.html
|
| Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, don't it?
|
| SigmaX

Actually, from what I read, it is not Adobe that is doing this.  A third party
has written an app to use a feature of Acrobat 7 (the ability to run
Javascript within the document) so that the IP address of whomever is opening
the *.pdf  can be logged.  I'm not certain that Adobe will take kindly to
this twisting of what was probably good intentions.  In effect, it has turned
a "feature" into a "bug" in Acrobat Reader, in the mind of many people.
Those of us on dial-up, and those with a dynamic IP wouldn't care, but users
with a static IP should be at least a little bit pissed.  Before we condemn
Adobe, lets wait and see how this plays out (and maybe some will want to
disable Java in the Reader and install the perl script to stop the nagging).
Also, does anyone know of any site, anywhere, using this?  Maybe, just
boycotting those sites would be effective.  Time will tell.