On Thursday 07 April 2005 09:55 am, Domingo Abrego wrote:
| hi,  i am using a winmodem on my computer for windows, is that possible to
| use that same modem for linux, mandrake community edition v.10  ?...  i did
| some reseaches about win modems and linux and what i read in all this
| websites is that it is not possible!!!
|
| but i found a driver for LTwinmodem  (lucent winmodems) for linux.. in the
| driverguide webpage, is that possible... and maybe the main question is how
| do i install this driver on my system.?

Very likely.  BUT, the driver you use must match the running kernel--it is
possible you will need to compile to do this--get ready to install
kernel-source or kernel-headers.  And, if you upgrade your kernel it will
break the modem and you will need to compile the driver again.  I've gotten
lucent chipset modems to work with several kernels, but you know what???  It
really isn't worth the bother.  Get an external serial modem (not usb!) and
save yourself the frustration.

If you insist,    http://www.linmodems.org

Also, the "scanModem tool" (do a Google for it) will identify your chipset and
probably tell you what driver you need, if there is a precompiled one for it.

Good Luck