Ian wrote:
On Sunday 10 Apr 2005 19:26, JoeHill wrote:

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 10:28:12 -0500

Tom disseminated the following:

        That just isn't so. I have a GeF4, I use the 'nv' driver,
I've never used the proprietary nvidia driver, DVD's and any other
kind'a movies play jus' fine.  DVD's, or any videos for that matter,
_do not_ require hardware acceleration.

Sorry, only speaking from personal experience. DVD's or AVI's will not play, at least not full screen anyhow, unless I'm using hardware acceleration, ie. the nvidia driver. Like you always say, YMMV ;-)

Didn't I read somewhere that DivX files require at least a 500Mhz processor?

I'd heard that rumor too

Although that was for Windoze based systems.

There is no reality comin from Windoze, either the users or M$

Haven't the faintest what a DVD would need, though.

Ian, while not on DVD, I took some CD's burned with .vobs ripped from DVD up to my daughter an g'kids when I went up to Houston for Christmas. She has my old PII 350 (that I oc'd to 467 the whole time I had it). Mostly an experiment to see how the videos played, or even if they would.

Her system has ancient ram in it, from an even older P90 system I use to have. Rated for 66mhz I guess, it was from before the PC66 standard was invented. I ran that old ram at 133+. When I gave the system to my daughter, I had to keep it at 100mhz to match the default PII 350 FSB. That ram, 64mb's (2x32), is old an 'rode hard an put up wet'. The video card is an old S3 'Virge'. Also previously oc'd to the limit, but not in her system. Which other than the ancient ram, is run at default speeds now.

It's a system runnin Linux, an the last time I updated it for her, it was to 10.1, KDE, w/PLF additions. That 350, w/o 3d/accel, only 64mb overan worn out ram.... played the .vob's just fine usin (PLF) mplayer. So I gave her some $$'s to go to Wal*Mart and buy a DVDrom drive (ata) and some DVD's for the kids. The Cdrom was old an tired anyhow (also a carry over from my my ancient P90).

Installed the DVDrom, an played the DVD's for the kids. 350Mhz, overstretched 64mb ram, no hardware accel on an ancient 2mb video card. It did take close to a minute to fill the cache an start playin the movie tho. (64mb, 250 /swap). After the wait, it played flawlessly.

I suppose it is time to build another system for myself an give her an the g'kids this old XP3000+, no 3d/acell. Just with an old 512mb stick of ram I've got layin around in it ;)
--
Tom Brinkman Corpus Christi, Texas