I am by no means even close to being even a proficient Linux user,  but I am well
schooled in  DOS, Win, and NT.  But for the most part I couldn't say which is
really more stable.  My machines don't crash, lock up,  etc.  under Win(whatever
ver) or NT or Linux.  Matter of fact ,  my web server (offline for the moment) Has
been an NT server that I tossed together and threw the OS on
the day I got my first release of 4.0.   It has "blue screened" once on me, when I
was on vacation, natch.
But it was totally my fault.  I hadn't left enough room for caching for users and
the hdd hit the wall.  Since then it hasn't been a problem.  Linux, although I've
only had it running for a week, seems stable  and the install went easily.  I
attribute most of my success with all the OS's to a basic principle  "KISS"(keep
it simple silly(oe stupid))  I do what I call a "dummy install",  not dummy in as
a test, but as a "no brainer"
type .   This install of Linux was the same deal and I installed it on my main
machine without bothering to do a current back up.   I install upgrades and
patches as I become aware of them, and I always check for hardware  compatability
first.   Minimal problems all the way round.  Most problems I have with
users/clients are BSAT (between seat and terminal).  Works the same with my own
network.
I usually have dummied out and done something or neglected to do something and
then down
we go.

Just my 'pinion (and we all know what that is worth<g>)
Bill Carling