As root type the following at a command prompt:
XConfigurator

FWIW - I was extremely nervous to change my settings.  If I messed up the
settings and couldn't read the screen, the OS would be worthless.  The above
command lets you test the settings before applying them.  As a newbie, this
one is a piece of cake.

HTH,
Matt