Season's Greetings!

I'm considering setting up little LAN in my home and, since I'm completely
inexperienced in networking, would like everyone's input regarding which NIC(s)
to choose.  I am only in the planning stages and have no NICs or Hub. Here is my
situation:

1 PC dual booting L-M6.0 and Win98
1 PC with Win98

Both PC's have more than 1 of each PCI and ISA slots open.  I intend to
use the LAN for sharing files, and maybe the printer on the Win98-only PC if I
can get Linux to do it.  I would also like to be able to share the modem (and
therefore Internet connection) in the Dual-booting machine (preferably while its
running Linux). Even though I only have 2 PC's, I want the abillity to easily
expand (although I'm not likely to go beyond 4 systems), so I will be getting a
hub in stead of using a crossover cable.

Here are my questions:

(1)What would be easier to configure in Linux, a PCI or ISA NIC?  Remember, I
will be installing a NIC in a machine that previously had none.

(2)Will 10-BASET be enough for me, or shall I aim for a 10/100 network?

(3)Is there any benefit to having identical NICs in all the PC's on a network?

Thanks for any info!
Jeremy