Sounds like a lot of good hardware help here.  I'd also advise doing one
of two things to learn about networking.  Either get and learn all the
Network related howto's of the net, (some are more current than others
however.)  The other option, and I'm doing both, is get a good text on
it.  I've got Linux Network Toolkit now, (recommended to me - it's very
good), UNIX for Dummies and the Linux Dummies Quick Reference.  I also
have the WGS Encyclopedia, but it's now dated. (Contains all the HOWTO's
as of 199X).

I'm working on networking a linux box as server to a Windows 95 486, two
Windows 98 pentiums and an Apple iBook laptop with AirPort hub.  Get the
hardware, configure two boxes to talk and then repeat as necessary.
Good luck.

B. B.