On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Doug Roberts wrote:
  |  I was wondering how it is possible to install applications from the CD after
  |  installing Linux?
  |  I installed Mandrake 6.1 and chose not to install things like Gnome and
  |  Samba. Now I would like to install these packages, do I have to go back to
  |  the CD and run install from there, or is there a command line (Yes I'm an
  |  old MS-Dos user...:-) ) commmand to use that installs application packages?
  |
  |  Doug Roberts
  |
  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  |  ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  |  ---------
  |  Murphy's rule of combat: Incoming fire has right of way.

rpm is the RedHat Package Manager and it is included with Mandrake. To learn
about rpm, read the  rpm HOW-TO, or use "man rpm" from a command line (No
Quotes).

IIRC the command line is

        rpm -Uvh <filename.rpm>.

                U=update package - installes or updates packages
                v=verbose output - more detailed explanations
                h=use 50 hash marks to indicate install/update progress

You need to have the CD-ROM mounted when you try to use rpm with the files on
the CD.

FYI, the folder on the CD should be

        /<CD mount folder>/Mandrake/RPMS/<filename.rpm>.

You will neen to include the path information so rpm can locate the file to be
installed.

HTH,

Ernie   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])