Hi All

Thanks to all for all the help...as for Ernie my comments follow...

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Doug Roberts wrote:
>   |  I was wondering how it is possible to install applications from the
CD after
>   |  installing Linux?
>   |  I installed Mandrake 6.1 and chose not to install things like Gnome
and
>   |  Samba. Now I would like to install these packages, do I have to go
back to
>   |  the CD and run install from there, or is there a command line (Yes
I'm an
>   |  old MS-Dos user...:-) ) commmand to use that installs application
packages?
>   |  Doug Roberts
>   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>   |  ---------
>   |  Murphy's rule of combat: Incoming fire has right of way.
>
> rpm is the RedHat Package Manager and it is included with Mandrake. To
learn
> about rpm, read the  rpm HOW-TO, or use "man rpm" from a command line (No
> Quotes).

I've been reading all I could get in teh HOW-TO sections for the last 3
months. It's been a struggle with this small monitor I have (my real 17"
monitor is in the shop under warranty repair).

> IIRC the command line is
>
> rpm -Uvh <filename.rpm>.
>
> U=update package - installes or updates packages
> v=verbose output - more detailed explanations
> h=use 50 hash marks to indicate install/update progress

AH HAH!!! Somebody finally explained the switches. Thank you.....thank you.
I couldn't find the syntax explained in anything I've read yet.

> You need to have the CD-ROM mounted when you try to use rpm with the files
on
> the CD.
>
> FYI, the folder on the CD should be
>
> /<CD mount folder>/Mandrake/RPMS/<filename.rpm>.
>
> You will neen to include the path information so rpm can locate the file
to be
> installed.

Something else I've missed in all my reading or maybe I read it and haven't
gotten it pounded into my brain enough...just how do you know which is an
executable and which are accessory files to the executable? In dos/win there
is .exe, .dll, .txt etc. and it is easy to tell which does which.