On Wed, 29 Dec 1999, Doug Roberts wrote:
  |  Hi All
  |
  |  Thanks to all for all the help...as for Ernie my comments follow...
  |
  |  > On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Doug Roberts wrote:
  |  >   |  I was wondering how it is possible to install applications from the
  |  CD after
  |  >   |  installing Linux?
  |  >   |  I installed Mandrake 6.1 and chose not to install things like Gnome
  |  and
  |  >   |  Samba. Now I would like to install these packages, do I have to go
  |  back to
  |  >   |  the CD and run install from there, or is there a command line (Yes
  |  I'm an
  |  >   |  old MS-Dos user...:-) ) commmand to use that installs application
  |  packages?
  |  >   |
  |  >   |  Doug Roberts
  |  >   |
  |  >   |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  |  >

  |    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
  |  --
  |  >   |  ---------
  |  >   |  Murphy's rule of combat: Incoming fire has right of way.
  |  >
  |  > rpm is the RedHat Package Manager and it is included with Mandrake. To
  |  learn
  |  > about rpm, read the  rpm HOW-TO, or use "man rpm" from a command line (No
  |  > Quotes).
  |
  |  I've been reading all I could get in teh HOW-TO sections for the last 3
  |  months. It's been a struggle with this small monitor I have (my real 17"
  |  monitor is in the shop under warranty repair).
  |
  |  >
  |  > IIRC the command line is
  |  >
  |  > rpm -Uvh <filename.rpm>.
  |  >
  |  > U=update package - installes or updates packages
  |  > v=verbose output - more detailed explanations
  |  > h=use 50 hash marks to indicate install/update progress
  |
  |  AH HAH!!! Somebody finally explained the switches. Thank you.....thank you.
  |  I couldn't find the syntax explained in anything I've read yet.
  |  >
  |  > You need to have the CD-ROM mounted when you try to use rpm with the files
  |  on
  |  > the CD.
  |  >
  |  > FYI, the folder on the CD should be
  |  >
  |  > /<CD mount folder>/Mandrake/RPMS/<filename.rpm>.
  |  >
  |  > You will neen to include the path information so rpm can locate the file
  |  to be
  |  > installed.
  |
  |  Something else I've missed in all my reading or maybe I read it and haven't
  |  gotten it pounded into my brain enough...just how do you know which is an
  |  executable and which are accessory files to the executable? In dos/win there
  |  is .exe, .dll, .txt etc. and it is easy to tell which does which.
  |
  |  >
  |  > HTH,
  |  >
  |  > Ernie ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  |  >

If you use the KDE desktop as I do, you can hover the mouse cursor over a
file's icon in kfm (filemanager), and the file type will be listed in the
status bar at the bottom of the display.

>From the command line, it is listed in the permissions of a "ls -al" (no
quotes) display. I do not know how to read the listing, because I use the GUI
too much, and so I neglect the command line (shame on me).

HTH,

Ernie   ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Best of the new millenium to you and yours.