----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Bell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 05, 2000 3:12 AM
Subject: [newbie] How do I install Mandrake to a 2nd IDE hard drive?

> I've been reading all the good reviews on Mandrake 7. I'm interested in
> giving it a try due to its easy install feature. The last time I tried to
> install Linux, I totally screwed up my system. However Mandrake 7 looks
like
> a fairly easy install with most of what I want already included in the
> distribution. So I think I will give it another go.
>
> I have one question:
>
> I have two IDE hard drives in my computer (c: drive is a 6GB & d: drive is
> 4GB). I have Windows 98 on the 6GB drive, and really nothing on the 4GB.
For
> my Mandrake 7 install, I would really like to keep Windows on my 6GB and
> install Mandrake on the 4GB (and give Mandrake full access to the whole
4GB
> drive), and use some sort of boot manager to toggle between the two at
boot
> up (I guess LILO, unless if there is something better). I've looked
> everywhere on the Internet, and found that most pages that explain how to
> have Windows and Linux installed on the same machine, all explain how to
do
> the install on the same drive. I haven't found any sites that explain how
> install Linux on a 2nd drive.
>
> Do any of you know of any sites that would explain how to install Mandrake
7
> to an empty 2nd drive in a very step-by-step way?
>
> Thanks for you information!
>
> Greg

You could use something like Boot Magic to boot to your other drive or LILO.
I have 2 similar setups and I use LILO on one and the version of Boot Magic
that came with the 6.1 dist. that I bought (Macmillian 6.5). You should
download the ISO of 7.0 and boot directly to CD, it'll walk you right
through the LILO setup.