Hi Warren,

Thanks for the tip.  But Ive had to use alsa latest v1.52 as it has the
support for my i8xo chipset.  this is where Im at with it.  Man, after
playing with this all day Im going to go have a beer and jump in the pool!
(its summer here):

I have managed to finally get somewhere.  This is what I have managed to
produce with a few questions first:

I have no sound still and when I reboot I have to run modprobe
snd-card-intel8x0 everytime to get the virtual directories /dev/snd and
proc/asound.

The system itself doesnt detect any sound devices, says none are installed
yet I can get all this info from these commands below after running
modprobe?

The fist step in the install notes is:
You must turn on sound support (soundcoremodule)
ie. sound support must be compiled into the kernel.
How do I know if the sound support is on and/or is compiled.  If it isnt
then how do I do that?

dev/snd dir along with others listed has pcmC0D0c and pcmC0D0p
not pcmC0D0?

there are other "alias" settings in the notes that arnt in my module-conf
like:
optioms:
snd-port snd-irq snd_dma......
How do I get this in mine?

Below is the command query results for all the steps I took after running
"./configure", "make" and "make install" in the three seperate directories,
then "./snddevices", then "modprobe"

Note that In the install notes where it says run "./snddevices"... then you
should get the dirs  "snd/dev" and "proc/asound" .... then you run
"modprobe"....
Well, these dirs dont appear for me until AFTER I run "modprobe".  Is there
any significance here?
sorry for the long post :)

regards
Gina
-------------------------------
etc/modules.conf:

alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install plip modprobe parport_pc ; echo 7 > /proc/parport/0/irq
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias char-major-10-175 agpgart

#ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0

#OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-slot-0 snd-card-intel8x0

[root@localhost /]# cat /proc/modules snd-card-intel8x0       1804   0
(unused)
snd-intel8x0            5168   0 [snd-card-intel8x0]
snd-pcm               28792   0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-timer               8000   0 [snd-pcm]
snd-ac97-codec         22176   0 [snd-intel8x0]
snd-mixer              23600   0 [snd-ac97-codec]
snd                    32556   1 [snd-card-intel8x0 snd-intel8x0 snd-pcm
snd-timer snd-ac97-codec snd-mixer]
sound                 64184   0 (autoclean) (unused)
soundcore               3524   3 (autoclean) [snd sound]
soundlow                 300   0 (autoclean) [sound]
agpgart                3788   1 (autoclean)
nfs                    31832   1 (autoclean)
lockd                  33256   1 (autoclean) [nfs]
sunrpc                56612   1 (autoclean) [nfs lockd]
supermount             14880   2 (autoclean)
nls_iso8859-1           2052   2 (autoclean)
nls_cp437               3580   1 (autoclean)
vfat                   11004   1 (autoclean)
fat                   32640   1 (autoclean) [vfat]
[root@localhost /]#
[root@localhost /]# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [card1          ]: ICH - Intel ICH 82901AB
                     Intel ICH 82901AB at 0xe800, irq 9
[root@localhost /]#
[root@localhost /]# cat /proc/asound/0
cat: /proc/asound/0: Invalid argument

[root@localhost /]# cat /proc/asound/0/ac97
Analog Devices AD1881

Capabilities     : -headphone out-
DAC resolution   : 16-bit
ADC resolution   : 18-bit
3D enhancement   : Analog Devices Phat Stereo

Current setup
MIC gain         : +0dB
POP path         : post 3D
Sim. stereo      : off
3D enhancement   : off
Loudness         : off
Mono output      : MIC
MIC select       : MIC2
ADC/DAC loopback : on
[root@localhost /]#

[root@localhost /]# cat /proc/asound/sndstat
Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v0.5.2 emulation code)
Kernel: Linux localhost.localdomain 2.2.14-15mdk #1 Tue Jan 4 22:24:20
 CET 2000 i686
Config options: 0
Installed drivers:
Type 10: ALSA emulation

Card config:
Intel ICH 82901AB at 0xe800, irq 9

Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

Timers:
7: system timer

Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG
[root@localhost /]#
dev/snd dir along with others listed has pcmC0D0c and pcmC0D0p
not pcmC0D0?

[root@localhost bin]# amixer
Group 'Input Gain',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 15
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Master Mono',0
  Capabilities: volume mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Headphone',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Master',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 63
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Video',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'CD',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'Line',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'MIC',0
  Capabilities: volume mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [capture]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [capture]
Group 'Phone',0
  Capabilities: volume mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'PC Speaker',0
  Capabilities: volume mute
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 15
  Front-Left: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 0 [0%] [mute] [---]
Group 'PCM',0
[root@localhost bin]#

[root@localhost bin]# amixer set Master 15
Group 'Master',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 63
  Front-Left: 15 [24%] [mute] [---]
  Front-Right: 15 [24%] [mute] [---]
[root@localhost bin]#

[root@localhost bin]# amixer set Master 100 unmute
Group 'Master',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 63
  Front-Left: 63 [100%] [on] [---]
  Front-Right: 63 [100%] [on] [---]
[root@localhost bin]#

  [root@localhost bin]# amixer set Input Gain 100 unmute; amixer set Mas
ter Mono 100 unmute; amixer set Aux 100 unmute;amixer set Video 100 un
mute; amixer set CD 100 unmute; amixer set Line 100 unmute; amixer set
 MIC 100 unmute; amixer set Phone 100 unmute; amixer set PC Speaker 10
0 unmute; amixer set PCM 100 unmute; amixer set Headphone 100 unmute
amixer: Unable to read group 'Input',0: Success

amixer: Unknown setup 'Mono'..

Group 'Aux',0
  Capabilities: volume mute jointly-mute capture exclusive-capture
  Capture exclusive group: 1
  Channels: Front-Left Front-Right
  Limits: min = 0, max = 31
  Front-Left: 31 [100%] [on] [---]
  Front-Right: 31 [100%] [on] [---]
Group 'Video',0
[...]
  Front-Left: 31 [100%] [on] [capture]
  Front-Right: 31 [100%] [on] [capture]
Group 'Phone',0
  Front-Left: 31 [100%] [on] [---]
  Front-Right: 31 [100%] [on] [---]
amixer: Unable to read group 'PC',0: Success

Group 'PCM',0