Thanks for the replys..FLipz has got me in the right direction, found out i didnt have package gcc installed.. not sure what you were talking about with the kernal source. But anyway now I am seeing a little action going on 8) still night right 8( .. when I change to the au88xx-1.0.5 newly created dir as the root and type "make install" I get a mile long page of commands trying to execute < getting better>

                      after typing "make install" this is what the first few lines read ... linux/autoconfig.h: no such file or dir , linux/kernal.h: no such file or dir , then the same lines for "module" , "version" , "wrapper" , config" then miles of commands all saying error this error that. I think it may have to do with form kernal source or something?

               I hope to get it worked out !! thanks for the help so far and remember " I am a newbie" to linux !!  I love it so far just from the fact that its non-microsoft .

my sound card is the aureal sq2500 with the 8830 chip.. sounds awsome in nascar3 with reflections and quake3 arena *) .. now if I can only get it to run in my new toy.. linux  !! 8)

john Dipolito