Here's a message I got from someone else.

First become root and edit the /etc/lilo.conf and add append="hdd=ide-scsi" to it. Here is mine:

/etc/lilo.config

boot=/dev/hda6
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
append="hdd=ide-scsi"
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19mdksmp
 label=linux
 root=/dev/hda11
 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.9-19mdksmp.img
 read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.9-19mdk
 label=linux-up
 root=/dev/hda11
 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.9-19mdk.img
 read-only
other=/dev/hda1
 label=dos
 table=/dev/hda

You then need to run lilo to update the boot files:

lilo

Then, add the following lines at the end of your /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

/etc/rc.d/rc.local

      /sbin/modprobe ide-scsi
      /sbin/modprobe sg

This will configure your CD-RW to emulate a SCSI device.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------optional

I had an error message about block-major-11 so I added this change:

/etc/config.modules
alias scsi_hostadapter0 ide-scsi
alias scsi_hostadapter1 advansys
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
pre-install pcmcia_core /etc/rc.d/init.d/pcmcia start
alias sound es1370
alias block-major-11 ide-scsi

Note that I have a real SCSI card installed for a Jaz drive and I had to change the alias for the Advansys SCSI card and add one for the IDE.

The last step is to link /dev/cdrom to your CD-RW. Only do this if you want your CD-R to be your CD-ROM device and it isn't currently your CD-ROM device.

 ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

Reboot!

To make sure everything works. As root type:

 cdrecord -scanbus

My results were:
Cdrecord release 1.8a22 Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Jörg Schilling
scsibus0:
    0) *
    1) *
    2) *
    3) *
    4) 'iomega  ' 'jaz 1GB         ' 'H.72' Removable Disk
    5) *
    6) *
    7) *
scsibus1:
  100) 'HP      ' 'CD-Writer+ 7200 ' '3.01' Removable CD-ROM
  101) *
  102) *
  103) *
  104) *