-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Anne Wilson
Sent: Wednesday, December 24, 2003 9:56 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [newbie] cd-rom

On Wednesday 24 December 2003 14:28, John wrote:
> I need help getting use of my cdrom. I asked last week and didn't
> have time to make changes to the fstab file that I received from
> Anne and another before installing the xfree security update. Xfree
> was removed and now I can't use the cdrom either. I have md 9.2
> coming any day now and this seemed to be a good time to switch.
> System would not boot to 9.1 cd when restarting and I don't know if
> the 9.2 cd will work. Any help would be appreciated.
> Best wishes for the holidays
> John

John, have you tried HardDrake (Mandrake Control Centre)?  It should
scan and pick up the hardware again.  It's important to back out
using the buttons, not the X.

Anne
--
Registered Linux User No.293302

Anne
I don't have the gui,only command line. I had tried hardrake as you
suggested last week. It recognized the cdrom but the files had
changed. Harddrake listed: new devfs device:
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/cd; old device file: /dev/scd0. The
old device file was the default setup when I installed md9.1. I don't
what caused the change. When trying to access I get the error message
could not enter /mnt/cdrom. There were some changes to the fstab file.
I was going to change the file where you suggested but didn't have
time and now I don't know how to proceed from the command line. I am
using a laptop xp system now to correspond(definitely not preferred)
Thanks for the response.
john