FredB wrote:

> I'm getting ready to do an install of Mandrake onto a test machine (dinky
> 486 I have laying around) to work with until I have a proper machine built.
> the machine will have 2 SCSI drives, one 2g and the other 1g. I am trying to
> determine what the best way is to partition the drives and mount my
> directories so that I can use both drive with some efficiency and have room
> left over for installing a kernel source now and then as need arises.
>
> I plan on using the 2g as the primary drive at ID0 and the 1g at ID1 for
> starters.
>
> Any suggestions from there will be greatly appretiated.
>
> Fred Buecker
Fred,

I think it unlikely that your install will succeed. Mandrake is
optimized for pentium class CPUs, and will not perform adequately on a
486. My experience has been that in most cases Mandrale will not
install, and if it does performance is dismal with many problems.

If you must work with the 486 I would try another distribution (Redhat
will work).
--
James Mellema, CRNA MA