this may be stating the obvious but...

The login screen should include a selection box for which desktop
manager you want at the foot. If you opted to install KDE then you
should be able to just select it at that point.

Otherwise, <CTRL><ALT><F3> should drop you out of x-windows to a command
prompt where you can log in as root and hack about. <ALT><F7> returns
you to X.

Hope this helps. BTW, it might be worth creating a new partition for a
new installation - that way you've always got the old system to fall
back on.

Del.

--

                   \\\|///