Audrey this is why:

all other slots, be it PCI or ISA are taken up...
I have a logitech marble mouse connected to com1 ...03f8-03ff IRQ 4
and on the same card, is a 25 pin female plug
then,
I have a BestData VW-PCI 56k winmodem hooked up to com2 IRQ 9,
in windows, and IRQ3 in DOS

I do have two ISA slots left, that are free...