Kit,

Doesn't your system have any of it's own serial ports?  Not the ones on
the card you have your mouse in.

Anyway, you don't need a slot.

Plug the modem into the extra serial port on the card your mouse is
plugged into.  However, you'll have to figure out to configure that port
to it can talk to the modem.  You'll have to use irq and address that is
not being used by something else.  Check your bios to see what it thinks
is built into the computer.