Oliver Stieber wrote:

> apparently xfree4 has lower memory usage than 3.x, and runs quicker.
> mandrake 7.1 beta is using xfree4, so you could do some beta testing as well
> as getting a more light weight desktop.

Yes this is true.  Nvidia has finally released OpenGL support for
there video cards under linux now!!  I have had the GeForce DDR
since January and had to play Quake 3/Unreal Tournament on a
small win partition that I was keeping just for that purpose.

Now I can *finally* install my quake 3 METAL box (linux version)
and delete that windows partition (the most important issue)..

should be great..  My friend has been playing under linux for
some time, but with a V3-3000 that looks like shit.  However
the V5-5500 (which 3dfx is taking pre-orders for now) should
be a great advancement for them.. problem is.. Nvidia has been
waiting for 3dfx to release it, so it can release it next
generation card and crush them again!!  3dfx has great linux
support, and I was a big fan of the V2-SLI configuration, but
hate the V3 series..  hopefully 3dfx will pull out of this
slump its in.