On Sat, 6 May 2000, quaylar wrote:

> Am Sam, 06 Mai 2000 schrieben Sie:
> > Its great everyones talking about windows firewalls, but what about Linux
> > firewalls. I have heard that a 486 with linux on it can become a great
> > firewall for a business.
>

> hmm...i also have a question to this.......cuz im planning to set up a firewall
> on a 486 also acting as a proxy server to the internet for my PII
> 350......but......isnt that 486 slowing down my inet connection for the PII ??
No, as far as you don't have a *REALLY* fast internet connection.
It won't affect your LAN's performances, and since internet connection are
not often faster than 50 - 60kB(ytes)/sec, this flow isn't high enough to
saturate your firewall.

Of course, this isn't the same for a firewall between, for instance, a
10Mb and a 100Mb network...

At least, that's what I think. But I may be wrong. (please tell me if this
is the case.)

HTH
Flupke