WolfRyder wrote:

> Being a parent, when I discovered my then 15 year old viewing porn sites,
> after specifically telling him he couldn't, he lost his computer privileges
> for 3 months. How, you may think, did I accomplish this? Well, when I went
> to work, so did the power cords. While at home, the computer was usable by
> me only.
>
> Ultimately, parental control isn't a piece of software on a computer, it's
> the guts to say no and mean it, even if you take away the CPU or Modem or
> whatever needs removing. Passwording is another way. People rely to heavily
> on "something else" to do the monitoring for them instead of doing for
> themselves.

I agree.  I have Freesco running as my gateway right now, and I have an
old terminal set up so I can watch the dns queries out of the corner of
my eye as I am working in my computer/electronics/reloading/hobby room.
Definitely has came in handy.  If I see a disturbing site name come up,
I check it out.  If it is objectional, well, that was the last time
anyone in this household will ever see it on my network.  Perhaps a bit
high-handed, but then I am the one responsible for making sure that
society gets a quality product in another 4 yrs, and I think this will
help steer towards that path.

Monte