Bob....I don't understand, how can you have changed the
ownership of a file on bob's desktop that never got copied to
bob's Desktop?  What does "No Joy/???" mean?

If you do an 'su -' you should end up in /root.  If you are in
root and there is an icon made the way I instructed on root's
Desktop then there must be a ./Desktop/Netscape.kdelnk
file!!!!  You can't get a "No such file" error.  Is it there
or is it not there?

Alan