Bob....I've heard of that happening before, though I don't
know why, but there is a workaround.

Let's say that the new icon on root's Desktop is named
Program.kdelnk and that you're logged in as bob and are in the
KDE gui.  Open Konsole (on the Panel) and su - (don't forget
the 'space dash' after su) to the root account.  Then type:

 cp ./Desktop/Program.kdelnk /home/bob/Desktop/

and close the Konsole.  Open KFM [filemanager (as superuser)]
in the Utilities Menu.  Navigate to bob's desktop and
right-click on Program.kdelnk.  Choose the Permissions tab and
change the ownership of both Owner and Group to bob.  Close
the KFM window and the new icon on bob's desktop should now
work (if it hasn't yet appeared then right-click the desktop
and choose Refresh Desktop).

Alan