I think the best way to make what you want would be to create a new
group dedicated to the files shared by fred and tom. Lets call it
fredandtom (groupadd fredandtom).
Make Both fred and tom member of this new group (by adding "fred,tom" to
the entry fredandtom in the /etc/group file).
Then make the fredandtom group the owner of /home/shared (chgrp
fredandtom /home/shared). From now on, the files in /home/shared whose
group is fredandtom and are group writable (chmod g+w file) will be
accessible to both tom and fred. But the files whose group is fred or
tom will be only accessible to respectively fred or tom.

HTH
Flupke