go to kde control center -> (should be on your kpanel), sound-> system
sounds...check the enable system  sounds box, then highlight an action on the
left, then match it to one on the right that corresponds to that action by
selecting it, hit apply, then do that for each sound event you want to use. it's a
pain to do this for every sound - maybe theres a better way, but ive yet to find
it...when youre done exit the control center. should do it up