> > I installed MD 7.1, I have a creative cdrw 4224 and I can play music on it
> > just fine under linux, however when I go to access it for files, the light
> > comes on and after a few minutes I get an error message that the contents of
> > the directory /mnt/cdrom can not be displayed....now the weird....I can't
> > eject the cd and the light stays on. If I don't completely power down the
> > machine the cdrom isn't recognized by the bios on the reboot.  If I
> > completely shut down the power for the recomended 15 seconds and turn it
> > back on my cdrom is back in the boot list again.
> >
> > Can anyone help me with all this weirdness?
> >
> > I am running an AMD K6-3 450, 128 mb ram, on a gigabyte MB, with the Ali
> > Aladdin V AGPset rev 5.
> >
> > I have had problems with the cd-rw in linux from the begining and haven't
> > gotten it fixed, but it never removed it from the bios before...what gives
> > here?

I am almost using same type of machine like you, and have had the same problem -
not with my burner, but with my CD-rom. For me to see, the problem lies in the
supermount. When you starts your CD-player, it mounts the drive for audio-use,
and not as /mnt/cdrom (or likely), and then you can't open it as so. I have
noticed, that when I have had a audio-CD in the drive, I have to open it again,
using my 'player-program' and then inserting a CD-rom, it starts to act 'normal'
again - but right - it's locked until you unmount it with the program that has
got access to it.
Hopes it works for you
Mogens Jęger