> Here's an even BETTER solution. Don't install Linux on anything other
> than it own partition. That includes Extended DOS partitions. If you
> have to use Partition magic to resize your DOS primary partition and
> create another primary parition which is where your Linux installation
> will go.
>
> I don't mean to sound accusitory or demeaning to you Mark, but it wasn't
> Mandrake that messed up it was the guy telling diskdruid what to do and
> where to do it with the installation. :)

No offense taken (well not much anyway :) ... but the thing that annoys me
is that it was totally unnecessary for it to change the extended partition
type!  Once I changed it back, Mandrake and Windows both worked fine.  So
what is the purpose of doing it?  Especially not letting me know about it?
I was doing this on someone else's computer and didn't want to mess too
much with the partitions, etc, as I didn't look at the partition table
before running the install - I figured "I'll just use the extra 5 GB
partition that Winbloze isn't using.  No problem, right?" Wrong...

Also, I may be a moron but I didn't see any obvious way in DiskDruid in
the installation how to shrink the DOS extended partition and create a new
primary one for Linux.  As far as I could tell the extended partition was
transparent to DiskDruid... is it the case that DiskDruid can't do what it
wants in the extended partition withOUT changing the partition
type?  Seems strange to me... if this was the case I would think many
other people would have seen the same problem.

> I know cause I learned partitioning the hard way. Just like you're doing
> it.

And it's amazing how much you learn in such a short time :)

> --
> Mark

cheers,

Mark