I too have been battling a modem install under 7.1 all weekend. Tried
all the timeout tricks on this list, tried the noauth option - still no
go.
In the end i had to download a program called qppp i think it was, and
that did the trick once it was configured.
But using either ppp under Linux conf, or gnome ppp, ( i installed from
2 cd iso set - maybe kppp does not come on that ? ) the ppp daemon died
always. I think it seemed to be a problem with the PAP config, howver
that seems to work fine under the program i downloaded.
Any other battles like this ?