After reinstalling 6.1 the other day, I had the same problem--  modem busy.  .
Cause:  I had forgotten to add
    #setserial /dev/modem uart 16550A port 0x6200 irq 11
as directed in my modem's user manual (Actiontec 56k PCI call waiting modem)
to my         /etc/rc.d/rc.local
file.  I don't know what the numbers mean except the irq, but they might be
different for you.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, you wrote: > I did
everything you guys said, now I have "modem busy" > with Kppp. > When I do a
"uname -r", I get "2.2.5-15BOOT" > When I do a "uname -m", I get "i686" > when
I cat /etc/mandrake-release I get  > "Linux Mandrake release 6.1 (Helios)"

--
Logging Out...