Al,

No, I didn't try the Emacs upgrade. I don't use emacs. In fact since I've
learned VI and MC and don't really have a need for emacs at all.

As far as LILO taking over for grub if I were going to do something like
this the first thing I would do is remove grub from, I'm assuming it
installed in the MBR the same way LILO does. Boot to a C:\ prompt and
type:   fdisk /mbr   <ENTER>    <ENTER> = hit the enter key

then, boot into linux using your boot disk and install LILO. You can do
that once you've configured it with Linuxconf open a terminal window as
root and type:   lilo   <ENTER>. That will/should install LILO to the
MBR. AT least that's how it was done in RedHat. I can't think that it
would be too much different for Mandrake.

--
Mark

I love my Linux Box...
        REASON # 2 ...X-windows is just a suedonym.
        Registered Linux user # 182496