I've got a S3 Trio3D in an IBM Netfinity 3000 that I have never got to work in anything but 1024x768 Frame Buffer mode, and unfortunately I fiddled with /etc/lilo.conf one to many times without an emergency disk and had to re-install Mandrake 7.1. It has never worked again even though I followed the same config again.

Anyway, I've attatched IBM's directions for setting it up in Frame Buffer mode, but if you are looking of better performance... I suugest that you buy another card and save yourself the months of sleepless nights trying to make it work, the saved time really makes this cheaper.

Just substitute in the latest 3.3.6-x version (not 4.0.x, a whole diff game):

Appendix A: Installing the VESA/Frame Buffer server
After the installed system has restarted, at the boot: prompt, type linux
text.
With the system started in command mode, login as root.
Mount the Red Hat Linux 6.0 CD and install the frame buffer server package
by typing the following text:
# mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom
# cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS
# rpm -ivh XFree86-FBDev-3.3.3.1-49.i386.rpm
4. Save the current symbolic link by running # mv /etc/X11/X /etc/X11/X.old.
5. Create a new symbolic link by running # ln -s
../../usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_FBDev /etc/X11/X.
6. Edit /etc/lilo.conf to add a new entry for the frame buffer server by
copying the existing entry. Only add a vga=773 line after the image line and
change the label so that it is unique to other entries. The following is an
example of a kernel entry with frame buffer server installed:
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15
vga=773
label=linux-fb
root=/dev/sdxx
initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.5-15.img
read-only

Warning: Do not remove the existing entry. Do not make any changes to the
root line in the new entry. The first kernel entry in "/etc/lilo.conf" is
loaded by default. 773 indicates 1024 x 768 pixel density with 8 bit color
depth. For more information, see /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt
(kernel-source-2.2.5-15.i386.rpm package).

7. Update the master boot record and the LILO boot loader by running # lilo
-v.
8. Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config to create a new section entry for the frame
buffer server under the Screen section. Copy the following example of a
Screen entry and make the necessary changes.

NOTE : xxxx and yyyy depend upon predefined strings in XF86Config. Replace
"xxxx" with the string following "Identifier" under "Device" in the Graphics
device section. Replace "yyyy" with the string following "Identifier" under
"Monitor" in the Monitor section.

Section "Screen"
Driver "fbdev"
Device "xxxx"
Monitor "yyyy"
Subsection "Display"
Modes "default"
EndSubsection
EndSection

9. Reboot the system and remove media.

10. At the LILO boot prompt, press Tab for kernel options or press Enter if
the new kernel was set as the default kernel.
11. After the system restarts in command mode, issue the startx command to
enter the X Window
______________________

Hope this helps, I'm trying to work up the guts to try X 4.0.1-2 after 4 months of trying with 3.3.6. Although, I did buy a $30 Permedia II just in case.

Victor

Dennis Myers wrote:

I tried Xconfigurator and was unable to bring up the Xserver. I have a S3
Trio 3D/2X video card and Linux seems to have a problem with it. I guess this
answers the question of should I upgrade. Hopefully 7.1 will support S3
better. Or maybe I should get a new card. The AGP slot is easy to swap out.
Anybody know of  a totally compatible video card that linux has no problems
with?  Or any other suggestions would be helpful. I sending this out of a
'windows' box and it is just killing me. Dennis