OK, Rob, here goes:

It IS a Win98 server, but I want the box to be a Linux server feeding a
Win98 client, with DSL
coming into one ethernet card (from a signal via a DSL modem), which in turn
feeds an internal
hub/second ethernet card, which then routes the signal to the Win98 client
box.

So my server box requires DHCP to access the internet.  Of course ICS
automagically uses
DHCP for all settings (and it works great) . . .

Why bother? you may ask.  Simple: My roommate uses Win98 happily, while I
prefer Linux,
so I have to "shutdown -r now" and dual-boot back into Win98 whenever he's
ready to cruise
via our little LAN.  By the way, I have no problems accessing the internet
using Linux, as my
PC was configured to use DHCP.  So as a standalone workstation, it accesses
the internet
just fine using either OS.

> Are the two NICs in the Linux box (Windows98 server, too?) set to
192.186.0.1 and .2?
No.  Win98 uses DHCP, which is standard for ICS.  I'm mentioning the static
IP addresses
anticipating that they need to be explicitly set for Linux when the LAN is
set up.  The IP
addresses are the standard 192.168.0.1 for the server and 192.168.0.2 for
the client, not
xxx.186.x.x as I incorrectly stated earlier.

>Why is this?  Is one of them your DSL connection and the other for the LAN?
Yes.

>Then you have a client (98, too?) with DHCP set....
Yes.

>. . . generally taking the 192.186.0.2 (.3?) IP on your LAN?
No.  I'm guessing that I need to set static IP addresses for this to work
with Linux, as you
correctly pointed out (at least with IPMasq).  There must be SOME way to
make this work.

This is how I envision the Linux setup:

{Internet}<=>xDSL using DHCP [linux server (192.168.0.1)]<=>[win98 client
(192.168.0.2 )]

And here is what it is now, with Win98/ICS:

{Internet}<=> xDSL using DHCP [win98 server (DHCP)]<=>[win98 client (DHCP)]