[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> [since I received only 35 Newbie on the 25th, none on the 26th & 27th I'm
> reposting this.  I had thought that the Newbie server might be down, but
> since I have only a few (rather than scads) messages from Newbie today I'm
> assuming that I just didn't get my mail for some reason.]
>
>     I've heard many times over the years that Apple got the graphical
> interface idea from the Xerox PaloAltoResearchCenter people.  A couple of
> years ago I saw (?The Pirates of Silicon Valley? -- don't recall) which
> portrayed the people at PARC adamently against showing this idea to Steve
> Jobs (of Apple).  They were ordered by Xerox's Corporate Offices to show him
> their graphical developments.  He took the idea and developed the LISA and
> the Macintosh.  Bill Gates (of Microsoft, the young contender at this point
> in time) saw (the LISA?) at Apple, if I recall correctly, and began
> development of Windows.  Copyright rulings were that the expression of an
> idea was what was copyrightable in these issues, and Apple lost the suit over
> Microsoft stealing the idea of the graphical environment, which they had
> stolen from Xerox PARC in the first place.
>     PARC spawned several seminal ideas over the years.  One is ETHERNET, the
> foundation ideas of interconnecting computers and how to do it, the
> protocols, etc.  As I recall Xerox wouldn't support further development so
> these people (sorry I forgot the names) took ETHERNET with them when they
> left PARC, and continued to develop the protocols.
>     Xerox blew things several times due to large (read industry dominant)
> company "corporate mentality".  Xerox had no idea what to do with these
> ideas, but they made fortunes for other people and changed the face of
> computing.
> -Gary-
>
> In a message dated 7/23/2000 4:43:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> <<
>  A nice little thing I once read in a book (don't recall the title, I read
>  too much :) is that at one time Apple wanted to sue Microsoft for copying
>  the idea of the mouse-driven graphical interface.
>
>  Then, from Palo Alto, Kodak (!!) came up and threatened to sue Apple for
>  the same thing if they were going on with that. Old film and paper
>  documents showed that Kodak had been experimenting with mouses etc.
>  already long before Apple got the idea.
>
>  (Could be that I am completely wrong with Kodak as the company, but that
>  is how I remember it.)
>
>  Paul
>   >>

One of Bill Gates business competitors quoted him, " Hey, don't tell me
anything that you may be working on, otherwise, I will use it?

Xerox
I would chalk this up to poor upper management and decision making.
Don't you love this:
"See 'ya in court" attitude. I know, when you're dealing with ideas,
patents etc. you have to take it to court. It just sounds funny: company
C sues company B for something company A originally came up with.
Hey, Kodak recently came back fairly strong with some great digital
cameras. A little expensive.

--
Roman
Registered Linux User #179293