On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Mike & Tracy Holt wrote:
>
> >My Kodak DC280 worked through the serial connection; haven't tried the
> >usb since I recompiled my kernel.  gphoto is still a little buggy and it
> >has only limited support - you get much more use out of the Windows
> >software.  I love linux, and it's getting there, but some apps just need
> >the help of the company who designed the product to begin with.
>
> I agree. Gphoto ack's the presence of my Casio camera but so far I have
> not been able to make it download pictures, keeps timing out.
>
> Paul

    Gphoto seems to be the best linux-camera app, but it's still
very buggy.  I finally got it working with my Olympus, tho it
requires some 'extra' steps. First I have to run it as root.  It's
not a permission problem that I can figure out.  It works as user,
but often times out. As root it only sometimes times out ;)  I also
have better luck if I don't use 'thumbnails' index.  I can't d/l
more than one pic at a time, and I have to turn the camera off,
then back on to d/l each pic.  My camera's a D360L, and it work's
better if I configure it as a D500L in Gphoto

   Still it's better than the windoze software that came with the
camera. It won't work at all on this box, but does on another W98
system I have.  This is a W98/hardware problem. W98 on my main
system insists on setting up the com1 serial port as com3.  So I set
ttyS2 to the port in Mdk 7.1 by putting this line in rc.local
  'setserial /dev/ttyS2 irq 4'   I also had to explicity assign the
port in bios, rather than using the 'auto' setting.

   So don't give up, you just might havt'a fool with it some to get
Gphoto working, and maybe try different ttyS? and serial speeds.
Gphoto's regularly updated, so maybe things will straighten out
eventually.

--
~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]