Nickolas Koehne wrote:

> You're right.  All windows OS's before 95 and NT were just GUI's for
MS-DOS.
> The easiest way for this to make sense to most people is that you had to
> install MS-DOS before you could actually install Windows.  On newer
versions
> of Windows, you need not install DOS anymore.

You do need to configure the partition on which you're going to install
Windows as a DOS partition before you install Windows, though.

--
Kathleen Dickason
Registered Linux user #182139

Sorry to butt in; you don't really have to configure any type of partition
when installing Windows.  You can start with an unformatted drive, then you
choose if you want to use FAT 16 or FAT 32 for the filesystem (do you want
to enable large disk support?).  M$ sort of did a number on the public with
their goofy naming scheme; 'Dos' is something similar to the bash, sh or
whatever you *nix shell you want to think of, but they also named their
kernel 'Dos'.  Now with newer Windows products, the Dos shell is mostly just
a crippled way of doing things from the command line.  It's not necessary,
but it exits anyway.

Mike  (if I totally missed the topic, just ignore this)