Sorry for the delay, I've been swamped by the activity on this board, and my
getting a cable modem has only made it possible for me to get the tidal wave
of messages 100 times faster.

Truthfully, I haven't had the need to get linux connected as a client on my
company's Novell network, but I have an linux ftp server at my desk that I
can play with.

I was reading the HOW-TOs and it seems there's a possibility that IPX needs
to be compiled into the kernel--is it already part of your kernel? Could
this be the problem?

Also, and this is just a thought, do you have samba running, with encrypted
passwords on? This may conflict with Novell's open text password
transmission.

Can you at least see a Novell network, even if you can't mount anything?

This is something that I had been planning to play around with, but never
got the chance to do... I've a busy schedule this month, but I'll try to fit
it in and give a try.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

--Greg

> hi Greg,
>
> I managed to find and install the Novell client from Caldera and
> everything as far as the client is working fine, however it's not able to
> attach to the server. this has got me stumped. I thought for a moment that
> maybe pmfirewall was blocking the packets, but I turned it off and
> rebooted and was still unable to get the client to attach to the server.
>
> I have the adapter defined properly in linuxconf along with my network
> address. other than that I don't know what else I need to do or what could
> be causing the client not to be able to attach itself. and ideas?
>
> --
> Mark
> **  =/\=  No Penguins were harmed |
> ** <_||_> in the making of this |
> **  =\/=  message... | Registered Linux user #182496
>
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2000, Greg Stewart wrote:
>
> > www.linux.org has a search engine for the HOW-TOs. If you search
"novell"
> > you'll find an s-load of documents all about linux-novell connectivity.
> > Somewhere in there is a guid to setup novell log in (works just like the
> > MS-NWLink Client, I believe).
> >
> > --Greg
> >

> > > Yes, Paul that's correct. They're running IPX. At the moment we don't
> > > have a client that will allow me to login. I was looking around at the
> > > Novell site and they have a client for Unix, but since I'm the only
one so
> > > far with a Linux box I don't think they're going to be willing to
spend
> > > the money on the client. At least not just yet.
> > >
> > > I have been working with VMware though and I can run windows when I
need
> > > to access the network as a guest OS. This is working very well. It's
kinda
> > > funny cause in the past 3 days with Windows running in a small window
on
> > > my linux desktop. It has crashed 6 times while Linux is still
> > > running. Makes me laugh...a lot!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Mark

__