AOL wont write software for linux, because anyone who uses linux wont want
an isp that wants to use a client program.
----- Original Message -----
From: Adrian Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, August 13, 2000 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [newbie] AOL for linux

> *haha*   good post to read first thing in the morning.   =)
> i agree with your perspective on the lack of fluff & learing curve that go
with linux (i'm looking forward to actually having to think again when using
my computer).

> but wait...  isn't linux trying to take over the world?  oh, that's M$ &
AOL    =)
> i would think on one hand, AOL would want to expand to linux, as even
adding one more mindless minion to their flock would help -- then again,
maybe they don't care about the linux user.   =)

> personally, i doubt AOL will ever write linux software, and if any linux
programer ever writes software to access AOL he will probably be hung for
treason.  *heehee*

> Adrian Smith
> 'de telepone dude
> Telecom Dept.
> x 7042
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I understand what you're saying Adrian, but that's one of the very things
> that makes Linux so atractive to "seasoned" linux, and computer users. the
> total lack of frills and fluff that just "any" potential user would want
> to pickup. Let's face it. If you REALLY want to use Linux there is a
> learning curve that must be endured and gone thru. if you make it through
> this curve then you're destined to become a real user and not just a
> casual GUI using button pusher.
>
> Linux is not an exclusive club, but it is also not for the faint-hearted
> soul who doesn't want to put in a little time learning. it is not a GUI,
> button pushers playground, like windows, where you can just jump into and
> minutes later be anywhere in the world online without learning anything
> first. Nor should it ever become as such. Just my opinion of course, but
> one that I know is shared to one degree or another by the Linux community
> at large. All the more reason for AOL to STAY AWAY from this last bastion
> of REAL mode computing.
>
> besides, it's been proven that things like AOL just don't stay down when
> injested by a penguin who's been used to eating good-for-him food.  :)
>
> --
> Mark
> **  =/\=  No Penguins were harmed |
> ** <_||_> in the making of this |
> **  =\/=  message... | Registered Linux user #182496
>
> On Sat, 12 Aug 2000, Adrian Smith wrote:
>
> > Tom wrote:
> >    A little more opinion:  A few years ago, AoL got mostly clueless
> > newbies as new signups. (hence the disdain by 'veteran' Net users).
> > Within 6 months, most realized that AoL sux, and moved to other
> > ISP's.  Within the last year or so, AoL seems to have that turned
> > around. Either their service is better, or the newbies are even
> > more clueless ;->
> > ~~   Tom Brinkman    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > i respond:
> > i was using AOL back when they were...  darn, what were they called...
bloody heck, i can't remember now -- anyhowz, before they were AOL, and the
service is not getting better in my opinion.  of course, i will be first to
tell you that i use AOL for one thing only, chatting with people.  some
people say the content is getting better, but i really can't speak to that.
i can say however that i think their interface stinks.  Compuserve was
always my baby, and when AOL bought them i cried for days.

> > to bring this back to Linux....  AOL use to have a DOS program, which i
use to use intstead of the windoze version as i liked it better.  if i were
AOL i'd make a linux version of the software & get it out there.  as someone
said, if you are using linux, why would you use AOL.  i think this is true
about....  60% of the time?  i mean, lets think about how many people (like
me) are experimenting with linux now days.  i'm sure some of them use AOL,
and being able to take that access with them just might make linux a more
attractive choice.

> > while the thought using AOL & linux makes me gag  (hahaha), in the end,
it might be a good thing for linux -- in so far as making the newbe feel a
bit safer with it.