On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> Hey Tom,

> >    You're hardware is at risk when ld-linux.so.2 goes awry. It will
> > cause your cpu's internal core to increase significantly. Left
> > 'untreated', and if your system cooling is marginal or inadequate,
> > harware failure is risked.  I wouldn't let the situation go till
> > you got home.
>
> I don't think many programs manage to change the physical measurements
> of a cpu's internal core. Of course, you probably mean that it heats
> the core up. If it would do that then you would be in a way right
> because of the greater oscillation diameter of molecules being exposed
> to more infrared radiation (heat). However, no program can heat the
> CPU more than it already is without the program. When a computer is up
> and running, it uses the CPU nonstop, no matter what program and for
> how long is running. Even if you would pause at the POST memory check,
> the CPU would keep executing the internal "check if he presses
> something so I can continue (and other things)" loop. The CPU is
> always doing something when it is powered. *What* it does doesn't
> matter. The power is on.
>
> Someone correct me if I am wrong, please.
> Roman

   You're right and wrong. That should have been "..cpu's internal
core [temperature] to increase.."  Sorry.  You're wrong about, if I
read you right, the cpu being in more or less constant state when
the power's on.  Install lm_sensor's or Khealthcare and you'll
instantly see what I mean.  At idle to normal load in an air cooled
system, your cpu will (should) be at room temp, eg, 22 to 26C.
Under load, this will immediately rise to (hopefully no more than)
30 to 35C. Take the load off, and the cpu should immediately drop
back to room temp. Under EXTREME load (like with cpuburn), ideally
the core temp should be kept under 45C. Intel cpu's (>= Pentium)
are the best to monitor because they have an internal diode that
reports to a (decent) motherboard's i2c/SMBus the cpu core's temp.
Using a probe (thermistor) is a within 10C guess at best.

   I have very adequate cooling for a p3-450 overclocked to 608mhz.
I have the cpu's core temp displayed constantly on Kpanel using
Khealthcare.  At idle/normal load, it's room temp (~25C).  During a
kernel compile it will reach 35 to 40C.  Running cpuburn it will
quickly reach 43C and stay there till cpuburn is quit. When
Nutscrape goes wild (ld-linux.so.2) the temp will immediately jump
to ~40C. Using this temp gauge, I often know NS's fixin to crash,
before it does ;)

   I have an Alpha heatsink with dual 26cfm cpu fans.  Most systems
have a lot lesser cooling whether it's OEM or 'retail' (ie, cpu
manufacturer's hs/fan).  Some systems, Dell for example, eliminate
the cpu fan, and depend on air being drawn by the power supply's
fan to cool the cpu  :(  Some systems are just plain full of dust
bunnies.  In all of these 'lesser' cooling situations, letting
ld-linux.so.2 run wild risks hardware failure and/or file system
corruption.

  cpuburn,  http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/
  lm_sensors,  http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/   (if you're
       interested in learning more about hardware, monitoring,
       etc., I'd suggest reading lm_sensors docs)
--
~~   Tom Brinkman     [EMAIL PROTECTED]