On Sat, 19 Aug 2000, Lance Dow wrote:

>appeals to me is having separate partitions for /, /boot, /home, etc. While

/boot can be between 10 and 50 megs, depending on your hunger to play with
different kernels. I have a 15 meg partition for it, with 5 kernels on it
and 11 megs free.

/ with me is 1.5 Gb, don't know if that is a lot or not.

/home is 4 GB, and I have a separate 8Gb /usr partition also.

>The second question is, having created all these partitions, how does the
>install program know which is which, so that what needs to go into /home
>(for example) actually goes to the right partition?

Don't worry, it knows :)

>As a Linux newbie I'm likely to want to install everything that comes with
>the distro, and probably install and try lots of other stuff as the months
>go by. I'd like to create an environment that doesn't make this any more
>difficult than it needs to be.

If you want to install everything, you will at least need 13Gb, if you
just install the first 2 CD's!

Paul

--
Some people will never burn out,
for they were never on fire to begin with...

)0(    [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]    )0(
http://nlpagan.net -  ICQ 147208
Registered  Linux  User   174403
-=PINE 4.21+Linux Mandrake 7.1=-