On Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:12:45 +0100,Lance wrote:

> One idea that
>appeals to me is having separate partitions for /, /boot, /home, etc.
-------
Sat, 19 Aug 2000  16:33:32

a perfect idea Lance, as It mirrors my thoughts precisely 8-), in my
opinion the most important one to have separate is /home...that way
you can install op sys  and format other partitions without losing
your personal files and settings...makes it the prime candidate for
backups also.
        One caution...if you make separate partitions for /usr and usr
local ...do not make my mistake and spell them /user and user local
with the rediculous assumption that Linux can spell.....usr ..hrumph!

        Otherwise the install will filter into the correct partitions
automatically.

> While
>the FMs are full of useful detail, they all seem to *just* fall short of
>answering my question. So I turn to the Linux-newbie brains trust for
>assistance.

        I also ran into this, and the reason for it is, there is no
correct answer that will work for every system...so everyone talks
around the issue and you never get an answer that is meaningful.

another caution here...a lot of the info you will find was written way
back when hard drives were the size of dimes and will not depict your
requirements for your thirteen gig drive. but no matter how you carve
it up in about three weeks you will see that you should have done it
some other way....for my purposes 13g is way larger than I need so I
am just holding my plan for some future install with room to spare for
now.

>Right. I have a 13.6G disk drive which I want to set up as a dual-boot
>system. Once I've got Linux running, I plan to copy the Windows files from
>my existing drive onto the FAT32 partition of the new drive. My Windows
>system currently has a 3.2G disk partitioned as 2G and 1.2G (roughly). I
>have a lot of spare room on this so I think I can get by with a single 3G
>FAT32 partition on the new disk.
>
>[On reflection, this might not work as I'm still using Win95. I seem to
>recall this not being able to handle partitions over 2G.]

If you are really running fat 32 you must have a later version

W95a is restricted to fat 16 and 2.1g drives...but you can make a 2g
and a one gig to get three....in fact I would make two 2g fat 16
partitions and still be below the cylinder limit for lilo easy, as
that occurs at near 8 gig....If that is a consideration for the
version of lilo you are planning to install?

        W95a does like to be the first os on the disk though, you
might want to install it before linux?

with usr and var and all on my 2g root partition it is running 71%
usage with a 6.1 mdk install, the lions share of this is usr, next
time I will have them in a partition of their own .

later
Olly P
Biloxi
Mississippi