Hi --

You're having the same trouble I had/have.  There's a part of your inetd.conf (I
think) file where it allows you to allow or deny
access to various IP numbers.  Take a look at these.  Uncommenting the lines in
inetd.conf just starts the daemons.  However,
you probably have the default status of denying access to all workstations.  Remove
this denial.  This should allow FTP.  At
least it did for me.  Alas it probably won't allow telnet (at least it didn't for me).
 Can anybody out there tell us BOTH how to
enable telnet to work?

pete

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 12:48:11 -0400, Welker Donald P NPRI wrote:

>ftp and telnet lines are both uncommented but connections are refused even
>between the Linux computer and itself (including localhost).
>
>> >I would like to be able to telnet to my Linux box and/or use
>> X from a remote
>> >system.  The remote system has an X server, but how do I set
>> up the daemons
>> >on the Linux computer?  They don't currently appear to be
>> running (since
>> >telnet attempts bounce).
>>
>> In /etc/inetd.conf you have to remove the # marks with the
>> telnetd line to
>> make the telnet daemon active.

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115
Voice: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7200