Hi all --

I assume this is a response to Donald Welker's original and then follow-up query about
FTP and Telnet.  I agree with Greg that
the config is quirky, but I disagree that it is a matter of login name/password on the
local machine.  I was actually able to fix
FTP (but not Telnet) on my server by adjusting the allow/deny parts of the config.
Now I can and do FTP from windows and
Linux machines to the server even though one of the linux and none of the windows
machines has ever heard of root or the
name I usually go by when using the Linux Server.

For FTP, find the allow/deny portion of the config (I think that changing this is what
security actually does -- or at least one of
the things it does), and allow the machines you WANT to FTP from and make sure those
machines aren't denied.  It should
work.

Now, can somebody tell me what to do to get Telnet to work?  Uncommenting the daemons
in inetd.conf will get telnetd turned
on, so that a telnet command will connect to the server, but the server will then
refuse the connection.

pete

On Sun, 20 Aug 2000 14:23:35 -0400, Greg Stewart wrote:

>Are you attempting to telnet in from a machine where you are logged in using
>an account with the same username/password, or a different one?
>
>I had/have lots of problems with remote logins using ssh on my MDK box, and
>I've taken security down to "low" through that DrakConf crap which I had to
>find and install manually. (sorry, I just don't like it)
>
>Apparently the rule set Mandrake creates somewhere, somehow, gets VERY fussy
>and limits who and how they can log in.
>
>I *have* set of ftpd (wu-ftpd, and anonftp) on the mMDK box, and cannot ftp
>in...Out, yes, but in, still no.
>
>It's a very quirky config. If you can, try creating an account with the same
>name/password on the remote machine and try getting in again.
>
>--Greg
>

>> ftp and telnet lines are both uncommented but connections are refused even
>> between the Linux computer and itself (including localhost).

>> > X from a remote
>> > up the daemons
>> > running (since
>> >
>> > In /etc/inetd.conf you have to remove the # marks with the
>> > telnetd line to
>> > make the telnet daemon active.

>message envoye depuis http://www.ifrance.com
>emails (pop)-sites persos (espace illimite)-agenda-favoris (bookmarks)-forums
>Ecoutez ce message par tel ! : 08 92 68 92 15 (france uniquement)

Pete Clapham
Department of Biological, Geological, and Environmental Sciences
Cleveland State University
Cleveland, Ohio, 44115
Voice: [216] 687-4820
Fax: [216] 523-7200